Tuesday, July 5, 2016

July 5, 2016 - Happy Birthday, America!

We in the office had fun celebrating in our own small way the 4th of July. We had some food with President and Sister Watson, and then continued about doing our normal day. At the end of the day, though, we were gifted with a great surprise -

ROOT BEER!!! Wow, it has been 2 years since I've had Root Beer. This tasted delicious.

I'm still not quite certain how they got it for us... I think that Verkkokauppa in Jätkäsaari might sell it. Not certain. But it is a very rare sight indeed. The can is on my shelf as a trophy.

Besides the 4th of July, not much in the way of topics are coming to my head... Oh, we spent a whole day in casual clothes last Friday. That was odd. We had to help move around a ton of apartment stuff from the Office storages to the new Office Sister's apartment. There was a lot needed, and a lot to be sorted through upon arrival. But. It's mostly done now. Phew.

Yup. That's all I can think of on my own. TO THE Q'S!!!

What did you teach this week?

Unfortunately, almost all of the investigators that we have dropped us this last week. It was all very close together, so it hit the rest of the week hard. However, we do have new people hopefully becoming investigators this week - I think that this time in the Office is actually competing for the time that I've seen the most investigators in my mission, now! We've been teaching and meeting with quite a few! So that's good.

What did you learn this week?

I was studying quite a bit from the New Testament about the ministry of Jesus Christ. It was cool to see that He really cared for the progression and understanding of all that He came across. Even the times in the Bible where He is calling out different groups for disobedience to the commandments of God, He does so with the instruction of how to become better and cast sin away. Quite cool.

What did you share this week?

I was given Root Beer. I am a content Elder. I will be making Christmas-In-July Cheesecake today for District Meeting tomorrow. Because it is July. So. No more perfect of a time than now.

Are there words to Finlandia?

Yes, there are! That's why it's really weird to hear 'Be Still My Soul', now, because there are very different words attached to it. The song is about Finland rising up, and how the day has conquered the night and just begun. Quite beautiful. Means a lot to the Finnish people.

Do pumpkins grow in Finland?

I'm not certain on that one - I don't think so, though. The only time that I have ever seen pumpkins in Finland has been around the different Halloweens I've been here for. Even then, I only saw pumpkins at LIDL's, the German store... Hmm. I have no idea!

What kind of holiday most closely resembles Independence Day in Finland?

Honestly, the closest thing to how we celebrate the 4th of July in America is Finland's Vappu. That's the crazy holiday of Memorial Day/Graduation Celebration/Drink-'Til-You-Can't-Stand-Standing. Finland's Independence Day doesn't feel like ours at all. It seems very solemn, in comparison. People talk about freedom, not fireworks. The only time that I've really seen fireworks in Finland has been during the New Year celebration in Porvoo. So. Very different.

Will you have a chance to check your email on your last P-Day? (Not that we are talking about it, just need to know when you will see your messages if we need to give you any important information.)

I will be emailing next Tuesday, and then probably get to e-mail shortly on the following Monday, the week I go home. Weird that those will be the last times that I communicate with this email account...

Well, I'm all done. I've got nothing clever to really say right now - I love being out here in Finland, and I'm still struggling to find bits of the country to take back home with me!

Return Missionaries (and invested family and friends as well) - I NEED IDEAS. I need to figure out what I should take home as souvenirs/memories/miscellaneous from Finland. And I have limited time to search for things. Thanks for the ideas!

I hope that all of you will be safe and happy! Enjoy a Root Beer on my behalf. I'll toast to you with a good ol' glass of Finnish water. I'm gonna miss this stuff.

Here's a scenery picture to close us out! Bye, all!
Vanhin David Milligan

No comments:

Post a Comment